Under the direct supervision of the Housekeeping Supervisor, performs a variety of cleaning duties for the hospital, clinic, and/or office, including walls, floors, equipment, bath areas, furniture, ceilings, elevators, staircases, windows and blinds, restrooms, vents, light fixtures using universal precautions and appropriate equipment. Responsible to maintain confidential patient information.
1. Coordinates with the nursing staff and supervisor to clean occupied rooms first, check empty rooms, and attend to emergency cleaning for spills.
2. Cleans patient rooms daily, damp mops or vacuums floors, and spot cleans stains. Dusts furniture, ledges, and bed tables and removes debris. Empties, washes, and relines wastebaskets. Washes walls and windows.
3. Uses appropriate chemicals and techniques when washing and cleaning restrooms. Washes basins, commodes, tubs, and showers, checking and cleaning mirrors, soap dishes, water pipes and exterior surfaces. Dusts ledges, damp mops floors, and washes walls. Empties and relines wastebaskets. Refills toilet tissue, paper towels, and soap dispensers.
4. Performs periodic cleaning of high ledges, ceiling and light fixtures, and vents. Cleans doors and parts of showers and commodes subject to mineral deposit.
5. Dry and damp mops or machine scrubs corridors and elevator landings, according to assigned schedule. Sweeps stairwells and washes corridor and landing walls.
6. As needed or assigned, bonnet cleans or extracts carpeted areas. Checks equipment condition upon sign out and cleans equipment upon return, reporting any needed maintenance or repair. Assists in meeting set‑ups, hanging curtains, picking up trash, hazardous waste, and recyclable trash. Washes trash containers in assigned areas.
7. Maintains all floors.
8. Maintains all carpets.
9. Sets up meetings, hangs curtains, and checks the condition of the equipment.
10. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards.
11. Responsibly follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
12. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and intradepartmentally to facilitate the department’s/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
13. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
14. Continuously displays a “can do” attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place at hospital.
High school diploma or GED equivalent