The Nurse Extern Tier II is accountable for providing nursing assistance and performing basic nursing procedures to groups of patients within an assigned nursing department, under the supervision, guidance,
and direction of a Registered Nurse who may delegate subversion to other Team Member such as; Licensed Practical Nurse and/or State Registered Nursing Assistant. In addition, the Nurse Extern can gain additional clinical practice to enhance their preparation as future licensed nurses
Under the continuous direct on-site supervision of a Certified Nursing Assistant:
• Interprets plan of medical care and provides input on nursing care plan and assist in the following provided they have been deemed clinically competent by their nursing instructor.
• Completes the nursing assessment form with oversight and approval of RN.
• Provides personal care including bath, shampoo, shave, back rub, positions changes, makes beds, prepares patients for meals, feeds patients and passes ice water.
• Answers call lights and bells promptly to determine and meet patient needs.
• Collects specimens, stool, urine, sputum, etc.
• Collects input and output and records appropriately.
• Collects and records vital signs on patient. Obtains and records pertinent patient information per hospital policy.
• Assist and/or feeds patients. (enteral feedings included), provides between meal nourishments, provides fresh drinking water and encourages fluids when indicated.
• Assists in progressive ambulation of patients by wheelchair, stretcher and bed.
• Administers enemas, douches and inserts rectal tubes and documents appropriately.
• Applies ace bandages and elastic stockings and sequential compression devices.
• Inserts catheters and feeding tubes.
• Applies restraints and side rails to ensure safety of patients.
• Observes isolation technique and give direct care to patients in isolation.
• Assists in ostomy care and education.
• Set up orthopedic appliances.
• Maintains records and reports necessary information in regard to patient care.
• Prepares patients for surgery and other therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
• Maintains a safe environment for patient care.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Enrollment in Board of Nursing approved School of Nursing Registered Nurse Program
• Completion of basic Nursing Fundamentals and/or Certified Nursing Assistant Course
• Current Transcripts and Copy of Skills Evaluation on basic procedures
• Recommendation Letter from 2 Instructors
Minimum Work Experience
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Ability to function in and adapt appropriately to a fast-moving, cross-unit team environment.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Prior experience handling confidential matters with appropriate discretion.
• To handle multiple, simultaneous tasks in a timely manner.
• Collaborative attitude with the many different departments.
• Must maintain positive, professional communications skills when working with co-workers
• Detail oriented
Software Powered by iCIMS