The Kentucky Nurse Extern is accountable for providing nursing assistance and performing basic nursing procedures to groups of patients within an assigned nursing department, under the supervision, guidance and direction of a Registered Nurse. In addition, the Nurse Extern can gain additional clinical practice to enhance their preparation as future licensed nurses.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES: Under the continuous direct on-site supervision of a Registered Nurse (for nursing care beyond
that performed by nursing assistants once deemed competent for nursing assistant related tasks):
· Interprets plan of medical care and provides input on nursing care plan and assist in the following provided they have
been deemed clinically competent by their nursing instructor.
· Completes the nursing assessment form with oversight and approval of RN.
· Provides personal care including bath, shampoo, shave, back rub, positions changes, makes beds, prepares patients
for meals, feeds patients and passes ice water.
· Answers call lights and bells promptly to determine and meet patient needs.
· Collects specimens, stool, urine, sputum, etc.
· Collects input and output and records appropriately.
· Collects and records vital signs on patient. Obtains and records pertinent patient information per hospital policy.
· Assist and/or feeds patients. (enteral feedings included), provides between meal nourishments, provides fresh
drinking water and encourages fluids when indicated.
· Assists in progressive ambulation of patients by wheelchair, stretcher and bed.
· Administers enemas, douches and inserts rectal tubes and documents appropriately.
· Applies ace bandages and elastic stockings and sequential compression devices.
· Inserts catheters and feeding tubes.
· Applies restraints and side rails to ensure safety of patients.
· Observes isolation technique and give direct care to patients in isolation.
· Assists in ostomy care and education.
· Set up orthopedic appliances.
· Performs nursing functions requiring skill and judgement (supervised by RN).
· Maintains records and reports necessary information in regard to patient care.
· Confers periodically with the RN on activities of the nursing staff and matters related to nursing care.
· Assists in patient and family education as directed by the RN.
· Serves as a liaison between the patient and other members of the health team.
· Prepares patients for surgery and other therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
· Maintains a safe environment for patient care.
· Place IV infusion devices under the direct supervision/immediate presence at the bedside of the supervising nurse.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED equivalent. · Enrollment in Accredited School of Nursing Registered Nurse Program · Completion of Nursing Fundamentals and/or basic Med/Surg clinical rotation.
Minimum Work Experience
· An official copy (sent by the school directly to the employer) of the student’s skill performance evaluation documenting the skill that the student has successfully completed in his/her program of nursing. · Two letters of recommendation from nursing instructors.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
· Signed competency sheets by nursing instructors for all nursing task performed deeming competency in each aspect to perform under supervision of RN.